I worked with a videographer to get more refined and polished videos so that Aura could really shine.
Here's the the thesis summary video, as I prepare for final review, that will be used as a commercial for Aura.
Rather than making the conversation seem live, requiring me to build out every step taken to send a text message in this string, I made it a review of texts sent and received and then a response. This allowed me to be time efficient which still showing the majority of the auras and creating a new text. The above video is a rough cut of me demonstrating this prototype. I plan to record with a member of my target audience with better lighting. To experience this for yourself…
Please keep in mind that this prototype has a very specific path of behaviors because the goal was not to user-test, but rather demonstrate a sample conversation.
I simplified the overview even more and distilled it down to a six slide experience that the user could scroll through. At the end of the overview the user can decide whether to go to the longer, interactive tutorial or just get started using the app. I integrated this overview with the tutorial and animated the various parts of the tutorial, elevating the prototype from low-fidelity to high-fidelity.
I user-tested eight users, one of whom was new to prototyping this app. All of the users enjoyed and understood how to use the app and found getting started much faster. They were also pleased with the animated sections. To see the user-testing of the integrated tutorial…
I refined the look and animation of the auras based on the feedback I received from the interviews. I created the final testing site to crowd source, reaching the wider audience and getting a higher quantity of feedback. I made the testing site password protected to ensure that I only get feedback from my target audience: females in relationships who text their partner often. If you are a part of the audience, please contact me to receive the password!
The previous surveys have been open to a wider audience because I have a market audience (anyone interested in using this app) and a target audience. Since I learned that females are more likely to be misinterpret text messages (or at least report it) from my previous research, I am solving a problem from an audience most in need. If I can solve a problem from those most in need, it'll apply to other audiences. The target audience will help to refine how the auras are interpreted and market audience will help to test and refine the concept and functionality of the app. While I am getting feedback on this, I'll be working on the UI and UX of Aura.
I did three interviews to test the expressiveness of the rough auras: one in person and two over the phone. I asked my participants to watch the 12 animated auras (above) and tell me how they interpreted them. Afterwards I explained my intended emotion and asked how I could change or improve them. In a nutshell, here is what I learned:
Things that work:
- Participants can sense the difference between negative and positive auras.
- The design is inviting and easily understood.
- Nonchalant was picked up on by all participants.
- Angry was understood by all.
- Sad was also understood by all.
Things that need improving:
- No one understood sarcastic and all thought it was not needed since it's the same as joking.
- No one understood awkward.
- Confused is not needed since people would likely express that with words.
- Tired looks too playful.
- Scared reads more as tired.
To see a full summary of my findings…